Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

Art Gallery "Vladimir Dimitrov - the Master", Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

The Art Gallery in Kyustendil, named after the world renowned Bulgarian artist was established in 1959 and in 1972 it moved to a dedicated modern building. It is at 20 Patriarh Evtimiy Street. Read more

The Building of Kyustendil Municipality

 
The building of Kyustendil Municipality

The building of Kyustendil Municipality rises in the centre of Kyustendil, next to Velbazhd Square. It was built in the typical style of the Bulgarian National Revival Period.  Read more

Bratstvo Community Centre, town of Kyustendil

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

Bratstvo Community Centre is the oldest cultural and educational institution in Southwestern Bulgaria. It was established on 1 July 1869.
Read more

Municipal Theatre, town of Kyustendil

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

The performance of the play Shrew by Yovan Popovich – a Bulgarian variation of the work of an anonymous author staged at the Church School in 1873, is considered to be the beginning of the theatrical art in Kyustendil. Read more

Monument of the Historical Names of the Town of Kyustendil

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

Today’s town of Kyustendil has had three names: Pautalia, Velbazhd and Kyustendil.
Read more

The Building of Neofit Rilski High School, town of Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

The beautiful building of the high school is located in the western part of the town of Kyustendil. It was erected in the period 1906-1912. Read more

Roman Therms

Bulgaria, town of Kyustendil
GPS: 42.281385, 22.693376

The Roman therms are located in the central part of the town within the immediate vicinity of the Ahmed Bey mosque, where the archeological exposition of the Regional Historical Museum is hosted. Read more

Pirkova Tower

Bulgaria, the town of Kyustendil
GPS: 42.28103, 22.692925

The medieval defense tower in Kyustendil known under the name of Pirkova Tower is situated in the central part of the town near the Roman therms. Read more

Ahmed Bey Mosque, town of Kyustendil

Bulgaria, the town of Kyustendil
GPS: 42.281385, 22.693376

The former mosque „Ahmed Bey”, known also as „Indzhili” (Christian), was built towards the middle of 15th century. Read more

Regional Historical Museum “Academician Yordan Ivanov”, town of Kyustendil

Bulgaria, the town of Kyustendil
GPS: 42.28677, 22.685783

The history of the museum began in the middle of the 19th century, when various prominent figures from the Bulgarian Revival period made the first successful steps to research the past of Kyustendil ... Read more

Exhibits from the Regional Historical Museum in Kyustendil

Exhibits-from-Regional-Historical-Museum-Kyustendil

Bulgaria, the town of Kyustendil
GPS: 42.28677, 22.685783


Read more

 

Fetih Sultan Mehmed Mosque, town of Kyustendil

Bulgaria, the town of Kyustendil
GPS: 42.279424, 22.690575

The mosque was built by Haradzhi Kara Mehmed bin Ali, one of the famous builders of public buildings in Kyustendil.
Read more

Assumption of Virgin Mary Metropolitan Church, town of Kyustendil

Bulgaria, town of Kyustendil
GPS: 42.279736, 22.688232

The church is situated in the downtown, in the immediate vicinity of the central square.
Read more

St. Mina Bulgarian Revival Church, town of Kyustendil

Bulgaria, the town of Kyustendil
GPS: 42.276858, 22.679586

The church is located in the western part of Kyustendil. In 1859 it was built as a monastery church
Read more

Saint George Medieval Church, town of Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district, southwestern part of Kyustendil
GPS: 42.270815, 22.676872

„St. George” Church is situated in the southwestern part of Kyustendil, in the neighbourhood of Kolusha ...
Read more

video-active-x3

Revival Building next to St. George Church

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The exhibition consists of icons from the Bulgarian Revival Period, church plate and early printed books.
Read more

The Fortress at the Hisarlaka Park, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district, Hissarluka Hill
GPS: 42.266067,22.67949

The fortress is situated at the highest flat spot of the Hisarlaka Hill two kilometers to the southeast of Kysutendil. Read more

St. Dimitar Church, town of Kyustendil

Bulgaria, town of Kyustendil
GPS: 42.283556, 22.698931

The St. Dimitar Church from the Bulgarian Revival period was built in the period between 1864 and 1865 in the eastern part of the town of Kyustendil.
Read more

Acropolis of Ancient Pautalia, Cheshmeto locality, Kyustendil

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

Cheshmeto locality (680 m altitude) is situated in the Hisarlaka park near Kyustendil. There is a monument of the sylviculturist Yordan Mitrev there. He was one of the afforestation pioneers in Bulgaria.
Read more

Church School, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

It was the first elementary school in town. It was opened in 1820 and existed till 1844. Read more

Dimitar Peshev House-Museum, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The building is an exact replica of the birth house of Dimitar Peshev, a Bulgarian politician, well-known for his contribution to the prevention of the deportation of Bulgarian Jews to Nazi camps. It was inaugurated in 2002.
Read more

Ilyo Voivode House-Museum, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The restored home of Ilyo Markov, one of the prominent figures of the Bulgarian national liberation movement, houses an exhibition dedicated to the national liberation struggle of the population in the region of Kyustendil. Read more

Vladimir Dimitrov the Master House-Museum, village of Shishkovtsi, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The gallery owns the largest and most significant collection of works by the great Bulgarian artist Vladimir Dimitrov – the Master, which includes 1357 paintings. Read more

House–Museum of Lyudmil Yankov, the hero from Everest, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The museum is set in the house of Grandma Dona Kovacheva, a helper of Bulgarian and Macedonian revolutionaries, in the town of Kyustendil. It is dedicated to the well-known Bulgarian mountain climber Lyudmil Yankov, ... Read more

The House of Kostandij Berovski, Kyustendil

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

It is located at 238 Tsar Osvoboditel Str. in Kyustendil. Read more

The Emfiedzhieva House, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

A rare, interesting and well preserved architectural asset from the Bulgarian Revival period. The house was built in 1874 by Hristo Lazov, the Coppersmith. It has a beautiful front façade. Read more

Prokopieva House, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

The Prokopieva House is located at 26 Maksim Gorki Str. It is Kyustendil’s oldest preserved house from the Bulgarian Revival Period. Read more

Dona Kovacheva's House, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

The house of Grandma Dona was renovated at the end of 1970 and now it has the status of a monument of culture. Dona Kovacheva was born in 1855 in Paralovo, in today’s Serbia. She was widowed at an early age. Read more

The Mayorska House, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

One of the most interesting and well preserved architectural assets in Kyustendil from the last years of the Ottoman rule. It was built in 1870. Read more

Tonche Kadinmostki's House, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

It is located at 189 Tsar Osvoboditel Street. It was built in the 1830s. It is a two-storey building with a single symmetry axis.Read more

The Arc Former Community Centre, town of Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The first Community Center in Kyustendil was set up on 1 July, 1869 under the name of Bulgarian Community Centre. Read more

Boge Art Gallery

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The gallery is located in Kyustendil, at 20 Patriarh Evtimiy Street.
Read more

Dervish Bath, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

Dervish Bath is part of the architectural ensemble in the center of the Dervish borough along with Kaya Bey Mosque and Dervish Fountain. Read more

Chifte Banya, Kyustendil

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The original Turkish bath was built in 1489 on top of the remnants of a Roman Asclepion. The present-day edifice was erected in 1910. The merit for its original architecture goes to architect Hristo Kovachevski.
Read more

Iron Bridge, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district
GPS: GPS: 42.2848735, 22.6859736

The Iron (Ladies’) Bridge is the most beautiful bridge spanning the Banshtitsa river in the town of Kyustendil. It was designed by the architect Rudolf Fisher and built in 1909. Read more

St. Archangel Michael Church, village of Goranovtsi, Kyustendil District

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

It is located 2 km to the north of the village of Goranovtsi and 17 km away from the town of Kyustendil. It was part of a small monastery. Read more

Holy Mother of God Late Medieval Church, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

The church is located some 3 km to the northwest of the village of Razhdavitsa on the right-hand bank of the Struma River in the Selishte locality. Read more

St. Peter and Paul Church, village of Prekolnitsa, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The St. Peter and Paul Church in the village of Prekolnitsa is a three-nave basilica with three blank domes and rich decoration Read more

St. Nikolus Church, village of Slokoshtitsa, Kyustendil District

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District
GPS: 42.264987, 22.701516

The St. Nikolus Church in Slokoshtitsa is a small, slightly dug into the ground, single-nave and single-apse building with a semi-cylindrical arch and dual-pitched roof. Read more

St. Theodore Tyron Church, village of Sovolyano, Kyustendil District

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The St. Theodore Tyron Church in the village of Sovolyano was built in 1834 on the foundations of an older temple.
Read more

St. John the Baptist Church, village of Bobeshino, Kyustendil District

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The St. John the Baptist Church is situated at the very border between Bulgaria and Serbia.
Read more

St. George Church in the village of Zheravino, Kyustendil District

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

Three borders meet at the village of Zheravino: the Bulgarian, the Macedonian and the Serbian ones.
Read more

Holy Trinity Memorial Church, village of Gyueshevo, Kyustendil District

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

The Holy Trinity Memorial Church in the village of Gyueshevo was built in close proximity to the Bulgarian-Macedonian border, on the very route of the future railroad between Sofia and Skopje.
Read more

St. Luka Girls’ Monastery, village of Granitsa, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The monastery is situated at the northern foot of the Ossogovo Mountain, 4 km to the southwest of the village of Granitsa.
Read more

Consecrated place of St. Ivan Rilski in the cave near the village of Gurbino, Kyustendil

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

Leaving the village of Skrino the Hermit went around the wild places and the monasteries along the Struma River and Vitosha Mountain.
Read more

Kadin bridge, Nevestino

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

In the centre of Nevestino, on the road Kyustendil – Dupnitsa and Kyustendil- Boboshevo, is situated an impressive architectural monument known as Kadin Bridge. Read more

St. Ivan Church, Nevestino

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

It is located 1 km to the south of the village of Pastuh along the Kyustendil – Boboshevo road.
Read more

Holy Trinity Church, village of Pastuh, Nevestino

Bulgaria, Kyustendil District

The Holy Trinity Church is located on the left-hand bank of the Struma River, in the eastern outskirts of the village of Pastuh..
Read more

St. Unmercenary Kozma and Damyan Church, village of Marvodol, Nevestino

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The burial church in the village of Marvodol is a typical analogue of the St. George and St. Nikola churches both with respect to its architectural design and to the way it was constructed – ... Read more

St. Yoakim and Ana Church, village of Smolichano, Nevestino

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

“St. Yoakim and Ana” Church, much popular in the region just as “St. Ana (Yana)”, is situated below the same name monastery above a rock niche with waterfall. Read more

St. Dimitar Monastery Church, Boboshevo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

„St. Dimitar” Church lies 4 km to the west of the town of Boboshevo. The church is located in a place tucked in magnificent nature.
Read more

St. Petka Church, village of Vukovo, Boboshevo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The St. Petka Church is located in the picturesque valley of the Struma river, in the eastern neighbourhood of the village of Vukovo.
Read more

St. Iliya Church, Boboshevo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The St. Iliya Church is small one, one-nave and one-apse, with length of 7.20 meters and width of 5.30 meters excluding the apse.
Read more

St. Atanasius Church, Boboshevo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The St. Atanasius graveyard church, built in the middle of 17th century, is small one, one-nave, with semi-circle apse.
Read more

St. Virgin Mary Church, town of Boboshevo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The church is one of the most beautiful and impressive Renaissance shrines not only in Kyustendil district but also over whole Bulgaria.
Read more

St. Todor Medieval Church, town of Boboshevo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The church is made of stone and the dome and arches are built of bricks. There were two layers of frescoes on the church walls. The earlier layer has been destroyed. Read more

St. Ivan Rilski Church, village of Skrino, Boboshevo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The cult to Rila Saint tangibly lives in his native village of Skrino. Here, near the village church, named after him ...
Read more

St. Ivan Rilski Men’s Monastery (Ruen Monastery), Boboshevo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The Ruen monastery „St. Ivan Rilski” is situated in a beautiful area near the town of Boboshevo, about 8 km to the west of the international road Sofia-Kulata. Read more

Saint Nikola Church, village of Vukovo, Boboshevo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

It is a Bulgarian church from the Late Middle Ages, located some 2 km to the south of the village of Vukovo. Read more

St. St. Peter and Paul Church, Rila

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

Two kilometres away from the town of Rila, in the valley of the Rilska River, on the way to the Rila Monastery is the convent „Orlitsa” /Female Eagle/ with the church St Peter and Paul. Read more

The Rila Monastery

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The town of Rila is the gate to the most cherished and the most genuine Bulgarian place- the magnificent monument of the Bulgarian architecture ... Read more

The Krupnik Gospel, Rila Monastery

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

A Middle Bulgarian written asset from the beginning of the 16th century. It contains 357 sheets with the text of the four gospels. The prefaces are by Theophylact of Bulgaria. Read more

St Virgin Mary Medieval Church, village of Resilovo, Rila

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The Holy Virgin Mary Monastery is an operational nunnery. It was founded in the 1930s. The Resilovo Monastery is situated at the foothills of the Rila Mountain, near the village of Resilovo, in the Municipality of Sapareva Banya. Read more

Visitors’ Center at the Rila National Park

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The Visitors’ Center is an information centre about the largest protected territory in Bulgaria: the Rila National Park, which covers one third of the Rila Mountain (around 810 square kilometers). Read more

St. Virgin Mary Church, town of Kocherinovo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The church was built in 1820. During the time of the Ottoman domination it was three times set on fire but each time was restored by the local Christian population. Read more

St. Petka Church, village of Tsarvishte, Kocherinovo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

St. Petka Church in the village of Tsarvishte was built in 1872. It is comparatively small in size, one-apse, pseudo-basilica.
Read more

St. Prokopius Church, village of Stob, Kocherinovo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

“St. Prokopius” Church in the village Of Stob was built in 1860. It is one-nave with a semi-vault arch edged with wood boards.
Read more

St. Ivan Rilski Church, village of Stob, Kocherinovo

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The cult to Saint Ivan Rilski continues to live among the population in Kyustendil district and in nowadays.
Read more

St. Nikolay Church, Bobov Dol

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The St. Nikolay Wonderworker temple was built in the second half of the 19th century and the altar stone was laid in 1862.
Read more

St. Spas Chapel, Bobov Dol

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The chapel is located in the St. Spas locality in the town of Bobov Dol. It was erected in 1996 with donations from citizens and companies.
Read more

Flame Monument, village of Panicharevo, Bobov Dol

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The monument was built in 1990 to commemorate 16 antifascist guerilla fighters from the Dupnitsa detachment who lost their lives in a battle in the Yanova Chuka area in 1944.
Read more

Minyor (Miner) Community Centre, Bobov Dol

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The Minyor Community Centre is operational. Activities: male singing group, aerobics, two folk dance schools, folk singing school, tambura school; library – 19 000 books.
Read more

Zora (Dawn) Community Centre, village of Mlamolovo, Bobov dol

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The Community Center was established in 1922 on the initiative of Stoine Bozhanov. It is a two-storey building. There is a cinema hall on the first floor with approximately 200 seats with a rehearsal hall, ... Read more

Prosveta (Education) Community Centre, Bobov Dol

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

On 26 January 1903 Aleksandur Dimitrov first established a community center in the town of Bobov Dol.
Read more

St. Teodor Tiron Church, village of Novoselyane, Bobov Dol

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

It was built in the period 1865-1869 on the initiative of Father Simeon, a priest, who was also its main donor. The mural decoration was created in 1871 by artists from the Samokov School of Painting. Read more

St. Nikola Church, village of Mala Fucha, Bobov Dol

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The church was built in 1869 with donations provided by the rural community. It was sanctified in 1871. Read more

Assumption of Virgin Mary Church, village of Mlamolovo, Bobov Dol

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

It was built in 1921. The structure is single-naved with a cross on its eastern side. It has been repeatedly restored. Read more

St. George Victorious Church, village of Dolistovo, Bobov Dol

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The first sod was turned in 1998 and the church was inauguration on 29 April 2007 by Metropolitan Yoan. Read more

St. Georgi Church, town of Sapareva Banya

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

A church from the Bulgarian Revival period built in 1840. It is unique for its interior architecture in the spirit of the fretwork from the Bulgarian Revival period. Read more

Saint Nikola Medieval Bulgarian Church, Sapareva Banya

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

It was built in the 12th and 13th centuries. It stands out with its architecture: a cross-shaped dome of the free cross type with a large semi-circular apse.
Read more

St. Stefan Monastery, Sapareva Banya

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The St. Stefan Monastery was set up at the time of the Second Bulgarian State and burnt during the Ottoman Rule.
Read more

St. Nikola Church, village of Saparevo, Sapareva Banya

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

Initially the church was a small, single-naved, single-apsed building (in the 14th – 15th century). Read more

St. John the Theologian Temple, village of Ovchartsi, Sapareva Banya

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

Its construction was initiated in 1881 by Christians from the village and excellent builders from the villages of Krushevo, Debarsko - Kiriako and Maltse.
Read more

Holy Trinity Chapel, village of Saparevo, Sapareva Banya

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

It was built in the period 936-1937 on the initiative of Father Nikola Petrov Chenkov and Hristo Zhishkin.
Read more

St. Archangel Michael Church, village of Saparevo, Sapareva Banya

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The small church is located on the spot of a once big monastery. Massive foundations, most likely from a monstaery destroyed by the Ottomans, were found during the excavation. Read more

Assumption of Virgin Mary Medieval Church, village of Saparevo, Sapareva Banya

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

It is a smaller version of the Rila Monastery church. It was built in the 1861-1864 period. Read more

Ethnographic Museum, Sapareva Banya

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The Ethnographic Museum in Sapareva Banya houses a medium-sized collection in the downtown area. Read more

Sapareva Banya Museum

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district
GPS: 42.2884134, 23.2639682

The archeological collection contains a small portion of the tangible cultural assets from the prehistoric settlement Kremenik (1.5 km to the west of Sapareva Banya) ... Read more

Vasil Krapchanski Art Gallery, Sapareva Banya

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

It was opened on 31 August 2013 by Mr. Lyuben Genov, Head of the Union of Bulgarian Artists. Read more

St. George the Victorious Church, Dupnitsa

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The temple was built between 1888 and 1895 and renovated in 1998. It is a three-dome edifice with two hammered gate entrances. The altar and the iconostasis are decorated with beautiful wood carved ornaments. Read more

Holy Virgin Mary (Pokrov Bogorodichen) Church, Dupnitsa

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The temple dates back to 1815. In 1927 – 1929 its front façade was modified and a belfry was added. Read more

Okoliyska House Municipal Art Gallery and Mosque, Dupnitsa

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The gallery is housed in two buildings: the Okoliyska House and the Mosque built in the 16th century. They are situated in close proximity to each other making up a magnificent architectural complex. Read more

St. Ivan Rilski Chapel, Dupnitsa

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The chapel is newly built. It was sanctified on the Day of Dupnitsa, which coincides with the Day of St. Ivan Rislki – 19 October 2010.
Read more

Nevena Kokanova Municipal Theatre, Dupnitsa

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The Nevena Kokoanova Municipal Theatre and the Zora Community Centre share the same building.
Read more

Historical Museum, Dupnitsa

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The Historical Museum was set up in 1992. It is housed in the building of the former Youth Centre. Read more

The Clock Tower in the town of Dupnitsa

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The tower is one of the symbols of the town. It was built in 1782 as a bey battle tower intended for defense purposes. It was transformed into a clock tower at the turn of 1790.
Read more

St. Nikola Church, Dupnitsa

 

Bulgaria, Kyustendil district

The temple is an architectural asset dating back to 1844. There are artifacts associated with the site that go as far back in time as the 14th century. Read more

E-Newsletter

Name:
Email: